Saturday, September 6, 2008

Allegiance Race for Health

Remember how I have been wanting to race but unable to because we are saving money? I got a free entry to a race today! I won the overall women at Allegiance Race to Health for last year. I decided to call the race director on Thursday to ask if I could have a free entry to this year's race. She said, "absolutely!" I was so excited!

So today, I raced!

We woke up early and got into Jackson around 7:30. The 5 mile started at 8:00 so getting there a half hour before was SUPER late for me. I like to register, warm-up, go to the bathroom, stretch, and then run. I only had time after registering for a quick bathroom run and minimal stretching. My warm-up was running to the bathroom. No good!

I met my friend Emily at the race. We chatted before the start. Pretty soon the gun went off and we were off! This race is notoriously hilly. Including a hill right within the first mile. Ugh! I definitely went out too fast for that. I wasn't able to get my splits because my Garmin wasn't getting a good signal because of the trees and buildings. I do know I hit the 5K mark around 22 or so minutes. I had quite a bit of stomach problems in the middle miles (I am not making excuses here, I promise.)

I finished up in 36:50 (a 7:22 pace!). At first, this bummed me out. Last year when I won the race I ran a 6:52 pace. Then, I started thinking. Last year, this race was my 5 mile PR. I was in the best shape of my life. This summer, I had a baby 3 months ago! I guess a 7:22 pace isn't too shabby considering that. So, I was happy. I think I was about the 7th or 8th woman overall this time.
Here's a shot of Emily, Grant, and I right after the race. I always look HORRIBLE in post-race pictures. YUCK! I sweat like a pig! I thought I would share anyway.


Aside from the 5 mile race, I was able to get another 5 mile and 6 mile run in earlier in the week so my mileage will be pretty good again this week!

4 comments:

Emily said...

You look great!

Allison Chapple said...

I am so proud of you! You are my post-partum running idol! I hope I'm running as well 3 months after little one is born. So glad you got to meet Emily. She's awesome and I miss her!

Michelle Simmons said...

Congrats... I second Allison's comment... you're my post-partum role model! So I'm thinking by February I should be able to run some of the local races here... YEA! :)

N.D. said...

I just found your blog. Whoa you are super speedy, and 3 months postpartum!! amazing! I hope I can follow your lead !